As a lover of food, I also enjoy watching other people make food on TV. In this post, I’ll review shows I like/dislike as well as provide some random thoughts about food TV personalities. Unfortunately, I won’t have any photos in this one as I have not actually met any of these chefs and would prefer to use my own photos on my blog.
Shows I love (in no particular order):
- Ace of Cakes – Anyone who puts fireworks, speakers, or other mechanical objects on a cake is pretty awesome in my book. I love that Duff will make anything you can dream up. His cakes are very pricey (they start at $1000), so maybe one day I’ll be able to afford one. In the meantime, Michael’s craft store sells Duff’s cake mix, frosting, fondant, and other cake materials, so perhaps I’ll make my own Charm City Cake!
- Top Chef – I like that this show is quite unbiased and is not trying to keep people for ratings. If someone gets cut, they get cut. I’m glad that Bravo has such an awesome show in its lineup. Also, most of my friends would disagree, but I’m on team Angelo. He’s cute, seems like a really nice person, and I don’t think he’s trying to sabotage others like many of my friends think he is. I think he can go all the way!!
- Chopped – I think this might be one of the hardest shows to compete on. Actually, it might be a tie between “Iron Chef” and Chopped, but Chopped takes the cake for weird combination of ingredients. I imagine it being really difficult to whip up something made out of ingredients that were never meant to go together or maybe have never been served together in a dish.
- Food Network Challenge – I like to see the chefs battle it out using different mediums. I especially like the sugar-themed ones because they’re so shiny and sleek. The show ideas are great, such as Disney, chocolate, and holiday-based battles. I think the best part about the show is watching the contestants move their show pieces to the judges table, watching intently and hoping pieces don’t fall off or their creation doesn’t completely fall apart.
Other food personalities I enjoy:
- Wolfgang Puck – I love his accent and personality, have eaten at one of his restaurants, and have purchased his commercial brand of soups…yum! I think they still play episodes of his show on “Fine Living Network,” which is awesome!
- Morimoto – The only Iron Chef to be featured on both the original show and the American version. Morimoto used to have a restaurant in Tyson’s Corner, VA and I was devastated when it closed. Side note: They also play episodes of the original Iron Chef on Fine Living Network.
- Alton Brown – I’m not sure that I can mention him enough! I love the guy! Anyone who can combine food and science is pretty awesome in my book. He combines quality food with the science of why things work the way they do in the culinary world. “Good Eats” is also one of my favorite shows EVER!! Too bad Alton is too old and too married for me!
There are, however, people on television who annoy me. While I can respect most of them, I can’t help but dislike their television personalities:
- Emeril – while I respect his cooking, I can’t stand to hear him say things like “Bam” and “Let’s kick it up a notch.” As a side note, I have tried his commercial brand of pasta sauce and it’s pretty good, and not much more expensive than other grocery pasta sauces.
- Rachel Ray – what can I say, her voice really annoys me. I cringe when I hear her on television and dive for the remote to change the channel. And, EVOO? Is that really necessary? There was a period of time where I enjoyed her show, but I think that time is going to stay in the past.
- The Neely’s – I don’t think couples are that cutsie in real life. They seems to be too flirty to be real and I can’t help but imagine that fights break out when the cameraman says, “cut!” I think I’d like to compare an episode of “Down Home with the Neely’s” and an episode of “Paula’s Home Cooking,” while making tick marks each time one of the hosts says “y’all.” I would compare them and see who says the word more. It’s a good idea and would amuse me endlessly.
Who are your most and least favorite food show personalities?